Apply for a Council Tax discount or exemption for someone in prison or detained

If someone living in your property goes into prison or is detained, and without them there is only one adult living in your home, you can apply for a 25% discount on your Council Tax.

If a property is left empty because the person who used to live there has gone into prison or is detained, you can apply for an exemption (which means you don't have to pay Council Tax for the property).

Find out more about this discount and exemption

This form will ask you to provide

  • Your details.
  • The address for which you are applying.
  • The full name(s) of everyone aged 18 or over who live at the property.
  • The name of the person in prison or detained. 
  • The date they were taken into custody.
  • Their prison number (if applicable).
  • Their expected release date.
  • The address of the prison or where they are detained.

This form must be completed by the person responsible for paying Council Tax at the property.

Please have this information ready as pages time-out after one hour.

Do not use your browser’s back button - if you need to go to a previous page click on the ‘previous’ button at the bottom of each page.

Privacy Statement

To provide this service Thanet District Council will collect and process personal information. We may check some of the information with other sources (e.g. government departments and other councils) to verify your identity and ensure that the information you have provided is accurate.

Your personal information is being processed because it is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation or for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest.

Please refer to our Corporate Privacy Notice for further details on how we process your personal information and your rights. This is also available in other formats (e.g. print).