Apply for a Council Tax discount or exemption for someone in hospital or a nursing or care home

If someone living in your property moves into hospital or a nursing or care home and without them there is only one adult living in your home, you can apply for a 25% discount on your Council Tax.

If a property is left empty because the person who used to live there has gone into hospital or a nursing or care home, you can apply for an exemption (which means you don't have to pay Council Tax for the property).

This form will ask you to provide

  • Your details.
  • The address for the application (if different from your address).
  • The Council Tax account reference (if known).
  • The names of all the people over the age of 18 living at the property.
  • The name of the person in hospital or a nursing or care home.
  • The date they went in.
  • If the person is in hospital - the name of the hospital and the ward they are in (if known).
  • If the person is in a nursing or care home - the name, phone number and address of the nursing or care home.

Please have this information ready as pages time-out after one hour.

Do not use your browser’s back button - if you need to go to a previous page click on the ‘previous’ button at the bottom of each page.

Privacy Statement

To provide this service Thanet District Council will collect and process personal information. We may check some of the information with other sources (e.g. government departments and other councils) to verify your identity and ensure that the information you have provided is accurate.

Your personal information is being processed because it is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation or for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest.

Please refer to our Corporate Privacy Notice for further details on how we process your personal information and your rights. This is also available in other formats (e.g. print).