Apply for a Council Tax discount for people aged under 20 in full-time education

If you are receiving Child Benefit for someone who is:

  • living with you
  • aged over 18; and
  • in full-time education

and you are the only other adult living in the property, you can apply for a 25% discount on your Council Tax.

Find out more about this discount

This form will ask you to provide

  • The name, age and date of birth of the person you receive Child Benefit for.
  • The name of the school or college they go to.
  • The title of the course they are studying.

You must provide one of the following as proof to support your application

  • proof of Child Benefit clearly showing which child it is for and when the Child Benefit stops
  • a letter from the head teacher confirming that the person goes to their school and is on a full-time qualifying course of education - the letter must include the persons name, date of birth, the date they started college or school, the date the course started and the date the course ends; or
  • a student certificate

You can either upload one of these documents to the online form or you can send it to us in the post; but we won't process your application until we have received your proof.

Please have this information ready as pages time-out after one hour.

Do not use your browser’s back button - if you need to go to a previous page click on the ‘previous’ button at the bottom of each page.

Privacy Statement

To provide this service Thanet District Council will collect and process personal information. We may check some of the information with other sources (e.g. government departments and other councils) to verify your identity and ensure that the information you have provided is accurate.

Your personal information is being processed because it is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation or for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest.

Please refer to our Corporate Privacy Notice for further details on how we process your personal information and your rights. This is also available in other formats (e.g. print).